We Finally Found Land!

I know it has been a while.  Since we bought the business license last November.  We have spent almost every weekend looking at land.  We went out as far out as a 3 hour drive from San Antonio, TX.  With everything we looked at I couldn't find anything that would work as a farm.  

I had issues with the rocky soil.  I wanted alkaline soil, the limestone in Texas will guarantee that.  But I wanted actual soil as well.  Second too many junipers.  Some plots were almost solid trees.  I don't want to chop a ton of trees down for a farm.  Texas is obcessed with restrictions on properties.  One plot we looked at the community would let us have one animal per two acres.  That gets expensive quicky for just a flock of chickens.   Another plot we couldn't have any non traditional stick built homes.  The realtor shuddered and said they actually had someone wanting to build an Adobe house....I mentioned we wanted something similar.   Apparently they missed that in our previous conversations.   Lastly I just hate fire ants.  

So a few months ago I decided to look at other states for land.  With the cottage laws, we narrowed it down to the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area or around the Flagstaff, Arizona area.  I have to say the winter temperatures in Arizona looked a bit more inviting.  So last Labor Day weekend we went out to Arizona and looked at a few properties.

A lot of them looked like this:


Which is better than what we looked at in Texas.  But it's a little bit boring. 

Then we found the perfect one.....





It is about two hours southeast of Flagstaff, AZ.  We are just south of the Navajo Reservation.   These two videoes are of the meadow area of the property.   Where we are planning on growing lavender, having our bees, our orchard and our vegetable garden.  Some parts of the plot are heavily wooded with a couple varieties of juniper and pinion pines.

Stay tuned if everything goes as planned we will be staking out our road Thanksgiving weekend.  Probably building a compost bin for our humanure, since we decided on a composting toilet over a septic system.   We found the perfect one....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farmer's Almanac Garden Planner

Our Business Plan

I must be a dummy because this book fit me just fine.