The Laundry POD




Since we sold our house and have been living in our RV traveling back and forth between San Antonio, TX and Saint Johns, AZ, I decided I needed an alternative washing machine since my current one is in storage.  At the farm we don't have the wind/solar power set up yet, so I wanted something that wouldn't take up room in the RV.  Also that didn't require electricity since we try to run our generator as little as possible.  After reading a ton of reviews on a few different machines on Amazon I decided to try this one.

I have had the Laundry POD about a week, I do laundry every day or every other day.  Then hang them up in my shower to dry.  How do I do laundry?


I fill the basket about this full.  This is an average size load for me.  There is one pair of women's jeans, two men's shirts, a women's shirt, a pair of men's socks, a hand towel, a wash cloth, a dish towel and a pot holder.  Yes, I spray stain remover on anything that needs it first.


I decided to show the products I use so everyone wouldn't think I have some secret weapon or magic...  I use Sprouts stain remover where needed.  I use one teaspoon of baking soda, one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and one teaspoon of Mrs. Meyer's laundry soap in basil scent.  I add one tablespoon of white vinegar in the rinse cycle to make my clothes super soft, even though they are line dried.  No, they don't end up smelling like vinegar.


After three minutes of washing the clothes shrink down quite a bit.  Yes I did say three minutes of washing.


Another three minutes of rinsing.  After rinsing there isn't that much soap left in the water.   A lot of people say they do three minutes of spinning after draining the water and the clothes are 80% dry.  I haven't seen that working.  I notice after about three minutes all of the water seems to have drained from the machine and nothing else seems to be coming out.  But I still have to hand wring out the clothes just like I had hand washed them.  I will say this is easier and takes less time then hand washing clothes.  I will have to see if I can figure a better way to wring out clothes long term.


This is about two loads of laundry.


As you can see it doesn't take up much space.

Over all I am happy with this purchase.  It is really easy to crank the handle to wash, rinse and spin the clothes.  Overall it takes about 12 minutes for me from start to finish.  I paid $61 for this on Amazon.  I was spending about $7 a week at the laundromat.  So after about eight week it will pay for itself.  Though I know I use about half of the detergent I was using in the commercial washers, so it will probably pay for itself a little sooner.


Behind every working woman is an enormous pile of unwashed laundry.
- Barbara Dale


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farmer's Almanac Garden Planner

Our Business Plan

I must be a dummy because this book fit me just fine.